April 2014

April 2014

7.22.2011

Things we learned (and saw) in Leipzig

I discovered my new favorite flower. They are on every windowsill and I LOVE them!
Kurt has his own street in Leipzig
And Luke has a chain store
High heels are acceptable shoes for any activity
This is not the Gewandhaus
This is the Gewandhaus
These guys swing their mallets at the bell when the hour tolls
Very big egg shaped thing from an old clock. That's all I could translate :)
The altes rathaus (old city hall) in the middle of the market place. It's hard to tell, but it is lined with red geraniums.
Der Amplemannchen - the little traffic man. This was the symbol at crosswalks in East Germany. After reunification, there was debate about replacing him and having a standardized version. But the East Germans fought back to keep their little Amplemannchen. I like him too. I vote to keep him around.
It's a big tourism symbol now too - you could buy anything with the Amplemannchen on it. You could also find the Amplefrau (traffic girl), and using various forms of transportation.
We were reminded of Camp Little Acorn (aka - Grammy's house)
It's easy to get 15 points (in the Bascom family version of the sluggabug game) at one stop light
The double decker bus is in Germany too
I think I embarrassed Brandon when I asked this man if I could take his picture. I admit, I was mostly a no shame tourist. And it's one of my favorite pictures of the trip.
The architecture there was so fun to look at! It just takes you back to time before.
And what a fun little car/bike thing. Still not sure what it is. And the wagon behind it - I can just imagine the little old lady in her Lederhosen (okay, not really up here in Leipzig but...) delivering her flowers.
I really, really liked Leipzig. I wished we'd had more than 1 day to see it.

0 comments: