April 2014

April 2014

4.06.2009

Poked

Luke and Kurt both had doc apts today. Luke's 1 yr well-child and Kurt's 6 week post ear infection check-up. Both went well and fine, but Luke was scheduled for shots at the end. The last time we were there they both got flu shots and Kurt wasn't so excited about that. So I was trying to prepare him for what was going to happen to Luke. I told him that the nurses were going to poke him and give him some medicine. And that he'll probably cry for a minute, but that he's going to be just fine.
I honestly don't know how much he actually saw because I had the honors of bolting Luke down to the table. But after it was all done he looked a little distraught. Luke also had to have a finger poke to test his lead levels (we don't know how old our house is...). We needed to go to the lab for this and Kurt started screaming at me. "NOOO! No more pokes! Don't poke Lukie! NOOOO! Don't do it Mommy! Don't poke him!"
I tried to console him, but it wasn't working. He cried all the way down the hall to the lab. He refused to come sit in the waiting room. He was pulling my hand and trying to get me to leave all the while screaming and sobbing "No, don't do it! No more pokes! Don't poke Lukie no more!" We finally got sat down and had a book open when they called our name. It started all again. The lab girls were trying to console him saying it wouldn't hurt, it's just a little poke, he'll be alright, etc. And I said, "No, it's not for him. This is Luke." They thought Kurt was upset b/c he was going to get poked.
So here I am, trying to hold a 1 year old still for a finger prick while my 2 year old is pulling on my other hand trying to get me out of the chair and save his little brother (The screaming still hasn't stopped). And I'm also trying to make sure that Kurt doesn't hurt himself by falling backwards onto the cement floor. I was trying to distract him with anything I could see on the wall. The other lab girls tried to show him the fun kid room with a dinosaur exam table and give him stickers. Nope. The screaming and pulling continued. By this time, the prick was over, Luke was just sitting there - hadn't made a peep, and they're finishing up the last vial thingy. I think Kurt distracted him as much as he did everyone else and didn't even know what had happened.
The rest of the day Kurt would break down into tears b/c we poked Lukie and we can't do it anymore. Wow - Mr. Sensitive. That is until Luke even thinks about touching a train. Then Kurt has no problem pushing him down in order to protect his precious trains. :) Brothers...

1 comments:

Deanna said...

This story is hilarious! What a protective big bro!